Smart for Business. Good for the Environment.
TJX has long been committed to pursuing initiatives that are smart for our business and good for the environment. We operate a large, complex international business and in 2016, were pleased to increase our global store count by nearly 200 stores. Our growth has resulted in annual increases in our environmental footprint, including our absolute greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. That’s why we have continually focused on meaningful initiatives that help reduce our environmental impacts and actively demonstrate our ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability. We remain committed on our journey to reduce our carbon footprint.
Sustainable Business Operations:
- Energy and Emissions: reducing the use of electricity and natural gas and using renewables strategically
- Logistics: reducing our fuel consumption where possible
- Green Building: evaluating best practices for new construction, building operations and maintenance
- Waste Management: reducing the amount of waste we generate, reusing items when we can and recycling items that we can't reuse
Measurement and Reporting:
- In 2014, we established our second GHG reduction target. Our goal is to reduce our global GHG emissions per dollar of revenue by 30% by 2020, against a 2010 baseline. We are pleased to report that we are on track with our 2020 goal.
- We are in the process of considering options for setting our next quantitative emissions reduction goal. As part of that process, we are undertaking a feasibility assessment for creating a science-based target and are considering options that range from a 2 degree scenario to a carbon neutral scenario.
- We aim to improve our measurement and disclosure of environmental data through our CDP response and by mapping our corporate responsibility website to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) index.
- As part of our renewable energy commitments and purchases in 2016, this year, we revised our GHG inventory calculation process to include both market-based and location-based emissions factors, following the revised GHG Protocol Scope 2 Guidance.
Building Relationships through Engagement:
We also strive to further engage our Associates on environmental issues. Environmental sustainability initiatives are increasingly important to both current and prospective Associates, and we believe that the more we collaborate across the organization, the better our program will be. As our program evolves, we are focused on integrating best practices across our global organization.