In April 2022, TJX was pleased to announce four new environmental sustainability goals. Read more about our new goals.
As we source merchandise, product packaging, and supplies for use in our operations, we may find more opportunities to source materials with sustainable attributes. As some of our first steps along this journey we:
- Are phasing out the use of PVC in product packaging designed by our in-house product design team for certain top-of-bed styles, easy-care table linens, outdoor seating cushions, and outdoor pillows by 2025.
- Have developed a framework to define sustainable product attributes, which we believe are those that have a positive, measurable environmental impact in their production or manufacturing processes and that can be verified by a
credible third-party process or certification. Some of those positive environmental impacts may include using less harmful chemicals and supporting responsible forest management practices. Our subject matter experts have compiled
a list of preferred sustainable product certifications in certain product categories that can be used across all of our divisions, globally. Examples include Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified materials; Global Recycled
Standard (GRS)-certified products; OEKO-TEX-certified products; and products made from organic cotton.
Some examples of products we are sourcing and materials we are using within our operations with these preferred environmental attributes include:
- We have sourced FSC hangtags where feasible with certain products our style and fashion experts have designed.
- A significant portion of our price tickets are printed on FSC-certified paper.
- In T.J. Maxx and Marshalls within the U.S., we have converted some of our gift card styles to be printed on FSC-certified stock.
Some highlights from fiscal 2021 and fiscal 2022 include:
- In fiscal 2022, select stores in the U.S. carried wrapping paper, gift bags, and gift boxes using FSC-certified paper.
- In early fiscal 2022, select stores in the U.S., Canada, and Australia, in addition to tjmaxx.com and marshalls.com, sold decorative throws with sustainable attributes, like 100% organic cotton fibers or made from recycled polyester.