In the U.S., we have eight active Associate Resource Groups (ARGs) organized for networking, development, and support for Associates at various locations across the U.S.
While informal, these groups are well organized. Every year, each ARG develops an annual business plan describing its goals and objectives, is provided with an annual operating budget as well as money for charitable giving and/or community programs and is assigned an executive sponsor. The groups host a wide range of events each year, including educational programming for group members as well as for the general Associate population, volunteer opportunities, social events, and fundraising initiatives.
In this challenging year, our ARGs continued to find innovative ways to support TJX Associates. Due to the pandemic, programming was held virtually, creating the opportunity to broaden their reach and engage more Associates. A few examples from ARG programming in 2020 include:
- In a year when mental health was more important than ever, multiple ARGs came together to provide their membership with the opportunity to learn practical knowledge on suicide prevention techniques. Members of diverse communities may be at increased risk of suicide and the participants learned more about what they could do to support those in crisis.
- Leadership, Education, and Adaptation for Disabilities (LEAD) hosted a virtual event for World Mental Health Day to promote education and awareness around greater access to mental health care, highlighting organizations that support that mission and creating the space for members to share their support for each other.
- The Multicultural Coalition (MCC) recognized and brought awareness to different cultures through events like a virtual musical performance featuring a violinist and traditional Chinese erhu, as well as a panelist discussion with Hispanic/Latino TJX leaders sharing their stories on how their culture has influenced their lives and leadership.
- TJX LGBTQ Associates and Allies (PRIDE) partnered with Greater Boston PFLAG to bring a series of lunch and learn sessions to TJX on topics ranging from current LGBTQ+ language and terminology to understanding the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation. Additionally, the group accomplished a major milestone in partnership with the business to make a PRIDE-themed gift card available for customers to purchase online and in stores demonstrating the Company’s commitment to a welcoming environment.
- Supporting TJX Armed Forces Relations (STAR) was able to continue their tradition of participating in the Run to Home Base event, with more than 20 members joining the virtual run this year. Additionally, membership engagement and support increased through a virtual platform allowing members to stay connected, celebrate milestones, and share resources, such as books, movies, and more.
- Women Adding Value Everyday (WAVE) hosted a discussion between a female executive and renowned author empowering women to embrace their imperfection and live a bolder, more authentic life, as well as supported the development of their membership through a workshop on networking and developing a personal brand.
- Our WAVE LP group was able to continue their longtime support of Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, celebrating their 11th year by going virtual. They engaged with Associates across the country to participate, exceeding their fundraising goal. To date, they have raised over $1.5 million towards finding a cure.
- Working Parents Group (WPG), an ARG founded in 2020 by a group of buyers, provided critical support for working parents balancing work-from-home, childcare, and their children’s remote learning. The group hosted virtual meetings on topics like self-care, effective coping mechanisms, and managing remote schooling.
- Black Associate Resource Group, TJX’s newest ARG, was launched to support Black Associates. The new group was formed to help foster workplace belonging and build a stronger community for our Black Associates. We look forward to reporting more on their efforts in the future.