We use various internal communications platforms across all our regions to share information with Associates about our environmental sustainability initiatives, whether they are global corporate efforts or regional success stories.
Due to COVID-19, on-site events to engage Associates on the Company’s environmental sustainability initiatives were held virtually in fiscal 2021. We celebrated Earth Week and raised awareness around TJX’s environmental sustainability programs by developing engagement strategies for the home office, stores, and distribution center Associates. Our cross-functional planning team collaborated on a variety of activities designed to educate, excite, and engage TJX Associates on environmental sustainability issues. For example, in our home offices we:
- Hosted a virtual speaker series where a line-up of industry and internal sustainability experts explored different topics. For each person who attended one of these sessions, TJX planted a tree through American Forests, a national forest restoration and conservation organization.
- Children of Associates in the U.S. home office had the opportunity to participate in an art contest.
- In addition to virtual sessions about climate change, plastics, and waste, Associates across Europe could attend virtual events, such as a beekeeping workshop and upcycling classes helping to find ways to turn household waste into something new.
- Associates in Europe were also invited to make an environmental pledge to do something different to protect the environment, such as sourcing food locally, reducing household plastic, and walking more to avoid driving.
In Canada, our regional Go Green Committee has a strong commitment and robust strategy around Associate engagement on environmental sustainability topics. Each year, the team produces events and educational materials that help demonstrate how Associates can incorporate sustainable values into their lives.
TJX Canada also runs an annual sustainability celebration, EcoFest, that features special guests, eco-friendly vendors, and food offerings. In fiscal 2021, the event was held virtually and included 60 vendors with purchase incentives for Associates, do-it-yourself activities, and guest speakers. Other key successes included:
- Virtual Earth Day celebration
- Virtual garden and speaker series
- Virtual holiday eco-market